Wednesday 22 January 2014

Sunday Pancakes



Chris & I have always been pretty into going out for breakfast. I like to think it's because we are in the hospitality industry, but it's really just because we are lazy and like to let other people cook for us. Since we are in our no spending year, we've had to step up our game a little bit. A few weeks back I  threw together this basic pancake recipe, & I kind of think I nailed it.
They are definitely the fluffy kind, not the thin crepey little suckers that Chris is into, but I thought they were good enough to share. 
So good that I almost wanted to share the recipe without a photo, because we ate them so quickly I didn't have a chance to take a good photo, hence, the worst food photography in the world. 
Is that the back of my couch behind them ? Yes.
Are they already partially eaten ? Yes they are.

The good thing about this recipe, is it's basically already vegan. I used a bit of butter & an egg in mine, but I've listed the super easy alternatives. I also used wholemeal flour because it's what I had on hand, but any other gluten free option would work great. Oh and they are refined sugar free ! Basically, they ain't nothin' ta fuck with.

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda or baking powder
salt
1 Tbsp cinnamon 
1 Tbsp nutmeg

2 Tbsp honey
I can coconut milk or cream
2 Tbsp melted butter/coconut oil
one egg/1-2 Tbsp mashed banana
vanilla extract

As for method, the trick is to melt down the honey & butter, & combine with all the other wets.
Sieve & combine all dries in a bowl, make a well and slowly add the wet mix using a fork, mixing until basically just together. Don't worry too much about small lumps, you really just don't want to overmix it.
Cook on a low heat using a little butter or coconut oil, and try not to go to big, they are quite soft & they can get tricky to handle if they are too large.
I served ours with a berry & honey compote, coconut cream & toasted coconut.
Yay !

H x



No comments:

Post a Comment